Author Archives: andrewshaver1

Sitting in the lab

I’m sitting here in the lab looking at our google doc and it’s looking pretty good! We only have a few final dilutions to do and we’ll be on our way to sequencing! I’m waiting for David to come back … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

We are getting close to sequencing!

A few of the PCRs last week didn’t work so I’m finishing up the last PCR B’s right now that we’ve had to redo and then all we have to do is Gel confirmations. If I counted correctly there are … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

PCR B

Today I did 32 PCR B’s. It may sound like a lot but PCR B’s are extremely easy so it went by pretty quick. I also messed up on updating the google doc and had to throw away three PCR … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

Today in the lab

Today I primarily focused on reorganizing some of our stuff. First, I went through our two boxes of extracted DNA and put them in numerical order by sample ID. I think at one point they were in order but with … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | 2 Comments

PCR A, PCR A, and more PCR A…

I’ve spent the week doing PCR A! So far I’m up to 40+ PCR A reactions. I finished up the 20 remaining samples needing PCR A this morning. After losing track of where I was in the PCR A process … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

Organization plan of attack!

One thing I would like to do tomorrow is go through our boxes and organize all the DNA, PCR reactions, and final products by sample ID #. I also want to write on the boxes of DNA and PCR reactions … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | 3 Comments

Lab presentation last Friday

Unfortunately I missed our lab meeting presentation last Friday, due to a doctor appointment taking longer than expected, but I did learn a huge amount of what’s to come in the data analysis portion of our project (basically everything that … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

Pipet or Pipette?! And some updates on our project :)

First of all, how do you spell the thing?? I’ve seen it both ways.. pipet and pipette. I’m thinking it’s pipette because it doesn’t have the red squiggly spelling error sign under it. Just wondering!   Now for the good … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | Leave a comment

Back in business

We’ve been sampling every day for Coral Ponds 1 and 2. We are up to almost 500 samples… which means we have a lot of DNA extractions to do.   I’ve noticed a few things in the last month. The … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | 4 Comments

Sampling yesterday

Yesterday we did PM samples on both Coral Ponds after they were inoculated. Our rate limited step (the water filtrations) took even longer because there was so much sand in the water. The sand would collect on the filter, causing … Continue reading

Posted in Undergraduate Aquarium Project | 2 Comments