- March 24, 2013: HeLa genome sequenced without consent stories
- Rebecca Skloot in the NY Times: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the Sequel
- ScienceInsider: Privacy Flap Forces Withdrawal of DNA Data on Cancer Cell Line
- March 14, 2013: Steven Salzberg wins Ben Franklin award.
- March 1, 2013: Richard Grant in the Guardian on Ome words.
- February 27, 2013: Nature Story by Monya Baker on Ome words.
- February 18, 2013: PhD student Russell Neches featured in story on 3D Printers in Research Labs in Chemical and Engineering News
- January 14, 2013: ‘Open access’ tributes to Aaron Swartz – SFGate
- January 14, 2013: Scholars Post Free PDFs in Honor of Aaron Swartz
- December 25, 2012: Laura Geggel in the New York Times on “These Were a Few of Their Favorite Things” about science toys of scientist’s
- December 13, 2012: Annalee Newitz in io9 on The Sexiest Geek Dads in the Galaxy
- December 8, 2012: UC Davis team cheers microbes into space
- December 1, 2012: Space Florida selects UC Davis / SciStarter team: Space Florida Announces ISS Research Competition Winners at …
- August 13, 2012: Wall Street Journal article by Robert Lee Hotz on “Here’s an Omical Tale: Scientists Discover Spreading Suffix; Researchers Develop Lots of New Words That All End Alike; ‘Sounds Futuristic’“.
- Promusa – Mobilizing banana science for sustainable livelihoods | The ‘best genomics Venn diagram ever’ deconstructed : ProMusa blog
- July 23, 2012 Davis Bio Research Microbiologist Rocks TEDTalk: Meet Your Microbes
- July 23, 2012 Have you the guts for faecal transplants? Irish Times
- July 11, 2012 Microbes en masse: The sequencing machine Nature story on Rob Knight
- July 11, 2012 The Case (Study) of Arsenic Life: How the Internet Can Make … - the Atlantic
- July 10, 2012: TED Blog on Eisen TED talk: TED Blog | 6 great things microbes do for us
- July 2, 2012 - Correction algorithms extend the reach of genome sequencing
- July 1, 2012 Twitter Top 10 Healthcare Journalists
- June 19, 2012 Angre Gallo in the Sacramento Bee on Faculty urge UC Davis to apologize to disciplined professor
- June 18, 2012 ASM 2012 Is Live
- March 23, 2012 Can You Really Sequence DNA With a USB Thumb Drive? | Wired…
- March 23, 2012 Microbiome sequencing offers hope for diagnostics : Nature…
- March 8, 2012 Birds, Poop and Roadkill: A Field Guide to Field Guides |…
- Funding Update | ProteoMonitor | Proteomics | GenomeWeb
- March 1, 2012 Book of Germs: The Quest for a Field Guide to Microbes |…
- February 26, 2012: Is a Field Guide to the Microbes in Our Future? from Your Wildlife
- February 24, 2012: What’s Living on Your Smartphone? from Alan Boyle as MSNBC
- February 23, 2012: UC Davis News-Jonathan Eisen elected to the American Academy of Microbiology
- February 4, 2012: Peer Review in Scientific Journals Isn’t Perfect – So What Else Is New? from Dennis McDonald
- February 1, 2012: Thousands of Scientists Vow to Boycott Elsevier to Protest Journal Prices – from Science Magazine
- Nicotine buzz from 1,300 years ago
- January 6, 2012 Scientists, Fight For Access!
- December 2011 How To Wow a Potential Lab Chief - Science Careers Blog
- October 2011 - Australian Radio story in Indoor Environment.
- August 30, 2011. Academic Publishers: Making Murdoch Look Good by David Dobbs.
- August 28, 2011. Ecosystem sweet ecosystem. Courtney Humphries in the Boston Globe.
- August 25, 2011. Christopher Shea from the Wall Street Journal: How Many ‘Kingdoms’ of Life Are There?
- Stories about PLoS Biology paper “How many species are there on Earth”
- Arsenic Life story, again
- August 3, 2011. Nature on The challenge of microbial diversity: Out on a limb
- July 28, 2011. Get To Know A Scienceblogger: Jonathan Eisen – Science of Blogging
- July 7, 2011. Wired News: Lovers, Losses, Putts, Egypt, and Bruce – Neuron Culture’s…
- July 2011: Towards “Tera-Terra”: Terabase Sequencing of Terrestrial Metagenomes
- June 11, 2011. Gazetaweb.com – O maior e melhor conteúdo em Alagoas:…
- June 2011: Metagenomic Analysis Suggests Fourth Domain within Tree of Life
- June 2011. Don’t know much about phylogeny. Genome Technology.
- May 11, 2011: Free Science, One Paper at a Time | Wired Science | Wired.com
- May 2011: Ben Franklin Award
- April 4, 2011: Blog post about “fourth domain” paper picked as PLoS Blog Pick of the Month
- March 18, 2011 New paper on “stalking the fourth domain” published. Some press coverage. For more detail see blog post here
- March 2011: A new domain of life: plenty more bugs in the sea. The Economist. Economist.FourthDomain.pdf
- March 2011 Jonathan Eisen win’d Benjamin Franklin Open Science award
- February 16, 2011 Ex PhD student Amber Hartman Features in LA Times Story
- December 2010 Post Doc Morgan Langille featured in Genome Technology
- December 2010. Arsenic life story. Hype | Wired Science | Wired.com and UBC microbiologist says NASA’s study not well grounded and Mail – The Scientist – Magazine of the Life Sciences and UBC microbiologist says NASA’s study not well grounded and Microbe gets toxic response: Scientific American
- November 2010: Microbiology goes digital. Microbe Magazine.
- DOE JGI Primer on GEBA Project.
- October 2010: You Aren’t Blogging Yet. The Scientist.
- October 2010. SPARC – Science in the genes … Story about the Eisen family and Open Science
- June 27, 2010. Sacramento Bee, The : UC fumes at publisher over $1 million…
- April 14, 2010: Langille & Eisen paper published in PLoS One describing Biotorrents Web Site. Some news and blog coverage: Eisen blog,Langille’s blog, ARS Technica, Nature News, GBMF news item, GenomeWeb blog, Nature news
- April 8, 2010: Chelsea Ward article in Science News on Open Science including interview with Jonathan Eisen
- February 2010: Beyond Darwin’s Wildest Dreams. Genome Technology article.
- Dec 29, 2009: New York Times article by Carl Zimmer about “Genomic Encyclopedia” paper in Nature. Lots of other stories about this including: ¿Cuántos microbios viven en la Tierra? | TENDENCIAS |… and tehran times : Scientists start a genomic catalog of Earth’s… and Microbial encyclopaedia guided by evolution : Nature News
- November 2009: This month in Blogs from Genome Technology
- November 2009: Is peer review broken?. Genome Technology article.
- November 2009: MTS38 – An Embarrassment of Genomes, Podcast interview from Microbe World
- November 17, 2009. Biologists rally to sequence ‘neglected’ microbes : Nature…
- October 2009. Gregory Petsko discusses Tree of Life blog in paper in Genome Biology.
- September 23, 2009. Sacramento Bee, The : UC Davis professors ‘walkout’ debate<b…
- September 16, 2009. Ileostomy patients: Different gut bacteria – UPI.com
- September 2009: Genomic Analyses Could Lead to “Field Guide to Microbes”
- July 22, 2009. Feature – Computing enables identification of microbe DNA…
- July 2009: Twitter: What’s All the Chirping About? Bioscience
- June 24, 2009. Science journalism: Breaking the convention? : Nature News
- June 2009: The Human Terrain. Energy Times article on human associated microbes.
- May 2009: Microbiology: Straight from the gut. Article featuring work in the Eisen lab on intestinal transplants. Nature Magazine.
- May 2009: Genes That Fit Podcast & Radio Show. From SETI radio. Interview w/ J. Eisen and others.
- May 8, 2009. Could Bacteria Be A Throat-Cancer Culprit? – Forbes.com
- April 2009: Brain gain: The underground world of “neuroenhancing” drugs. New Yorker article
- April 2009. Genome Technology Magazine. Metagenomics on the Move.
- April 20, 2009. Brain-Doping at the Lab Bench | Singularity Hub
- April 19, 2009. Jonathan Eisen: Lessons learned at the Joint Genome…
- January 2009: Computing evolution. ScienceNews.
- January 5, 2009. Super powers: Where can I get some?
2008 and before
- November 28, 2008. Terrestrial origin mooted for more microbes : Nature News
- October 28, 2008. Psicofármacos e investigación científica
- October 23, 2008. - Vanguardia
- September 2007: Forbes Article on CCD
- August 8, 2007: Venture Beat on a “Human Microbiome Project“
- March 2007 Nature “Microbes reveal extent of biodiversity” story.
- December 2006: Sacramento News and Review Life Itself
- September 2006: Microbe Magazine on Sharpshooter symbionts
- June 2006 Science Now on Sharpshooter symbionts
- June 2006: Central Valley Business Times on Sharpshooter
- June 2006: Nature on Sharpshooter symbionts.
- June 2006: More on sharpshooter
- May 2006. Nature News article “Synthetic Biologists Try to Calm Fears”
- 2005 Carboxydothermus genome
- September 2004: East Bay Express Publisher for the People
- Sept. 2004: Methylococcus genome
- March 2004: Wolbachia Press Release Innovations report
- December 2002 Esquire Magazine Best and Brightest
- Novemebr 2002. New Scientist article on Tree of Life grants.
- October 9, 2002. USA Today Article “Label fight heats up in Oregon”
- July 2002. A Theory Evolves. US News and World Report.
- July 2002: Chlorobium genome Hindu
- April 2002 – BioIT World Sorting the Microbes from the Trees
- January 21, 2002. Faculty of 1000 review highlighted in The Scientist.
- December 2011. US News and World Report. The Big Brains are searching for solutions. But there a no easy fixes. 2002.
- May 2001: No bacterial to human lateral transfer GNN
- December 2000: UC Davis PR on Arabidopsis
- March 2000: Retroviruses Article Retroviruses
- May 26, 1999. Hot trail of stolen genes. Science NOW.
- 1997: Walter J. Gores Award
- April 1997 – Science Core
- April 1995: Science Core