Slowly making a list of all my talks and presentations and posting slides / audio / video of them if available.
- January 28. “The quest for a field guide to the microbes.” Invited talk for the “Science in the River City” teacher’s education series.
- January 27. “Phylogeny driven approaches to genomics and metagenomics“. Invited seminar for UC Davis Plant Pathology Seminar Series.
- November 8. Phylogeny-driven approaches to genomics and metagenomics. Talk at IHU Méditerranée Infection, Marseilles, France.
- October 3. Facilitating the Spread of Scientific Knowledge via Open Science, Invited talk for Infectious Disease Week Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
- August 7. Bayesian Taxonomic Assignment for the Next-Generation Metagenomics, Department of Homeland Security Workshop on Microbial Forensics.
- July 29. Phylogenetic and Phylogenomic Approaches to Studying the Dark Matter of Biology, Talk for UC Berkeley Evolution Institute.
- May 31. All microbes, all the time. Keynote talk for UC Davis Teen Biotech. Challenge Awards Ceremony.
- Slideshow with audio on Youtube.
- May 24. microBEnet – the microbiology of the Built Environment network. Talk for Annual Meeting of the Sloan Foundation Program in Microbiology of the Built Environment.
- May 14. Microbiota & Microbiomes.
- May 6. Phylogeny-Driven Approaches to Genomics and Metagenomics. Guest seminar at Fresno State University.
- April 29. The Need for a Phylogeny Driven Genomic Encyclopedia of Eukaryotes. At SMBE-Eukaryotic Omics Satellite meeting at UC Davis.
- March 20. Phylogeny-Driven Approaches to Genomics and Metagenomics. Talk for UC Davis Genome Center Faculty Meeting.
- March 15. Microbiomes and DNA based Studies of Microbial Diversity. Talk at Singularity University.
- March 8. The Human Microbiome 101. Talk for Future of Genomic Medicine 13.
- March 4. Sequencing: The Now Generation. Talk for Bodega Applied Phylogenetics Course.
- February 2. Science Online 2013. Session on “Wearing multiple hats” presentation with Ed Yong.
- January 28. DNA based Studies of Microbial Diversity. Guest Lecture for MCB182 “Principles of Genomics” at UC Davis.
- January 9. Open Access Explored discussion with Jorge Cham of PHD Comics.
- November 16. Faculty discussion at UC Davis on YouTube in Education.
- October. Sequencing and Microbes, the Now Generation. At UC Davis Food for Health Symposium.
- September 16. Phylogenomic approaches to the study of microbial diversity. Keynote Talk at Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomes Meeting.
- September 6. Phylogenomic approaches to the study of microbial diversity. At Bay Area Illumina Users Meeting.
- July 14. Phylogenomic approaches to functional prediction. At AFP “Automated functional prediction” submeeting during ISMB 2012.
- July 13. Networks in genomics & bioinformatics: from phylogeny to Twitter. At ISCB 2012 submeeting at ISMB2012.
- July 13. Open science. At BOSC2012 submeeting during ISMB2012.
- June 23. Phylogeny driven approaches to genomics & metagenomics. At Canadian Society for Microbiology Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
- June 17. The microbiology of the built environment network. At American Society for Microbiology 2012 Annual Meeting.
- June 1. The microbiology of the built environment network. At Sloan Foundation Meeting on their Program on Microbiology of the Built Environment. Boulder, CO.
- April 15. DNA sequencing and the hidden world of microbes. At The Institute for Systems Biology Symposium on Systems Biology and the Microbiome.
- April 12. Meet Your Microbes. Talk at TEDMED 2012 at the Kennedy Center, Washington DC.
- March 15. Next and Next Next Generation Sequencing. Talk at Bodega Bay Marine Lab Applied Phylogenetics Course.
- March 8. Phylogenetic approaches to analysis of genomes and metagenomes. at NAS IOM Meeting on Social Biology of Microbes.
- February 17. Towards a Field Guide to the Microbes. At AAAS 2012 Meeting, Vancouver, Canada.
- November 15. Phylogeny driven studies for metagenomics. iPAM meeting.
- October 25. The dark matter of biology. At the 2011 Compass Summit, Los Angeles, CA.
- September 24. The Dark Matter of Biology. Pence Art Gallery, Davis, CA for “An Evening with the Genome Center.”
- September 12. DNA and the Hidden World of Microbes. CLIMB Symposium, UC Davis, Davis, CA.
- July 9. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. At “Microbial Diversity Course Symposium on Microbial Genomics”, Marine Biological Lab, Woods Hole, MA.
- June 29. The dark matter of the biological universe. Invited Talk at the National Institutes of Medicine Forum on Microbial Threats, Washington DC.
- June 21. Social media and personal genomics – web conference. Next generation sequencing conference.
- June 15. Open access and open science. Talk plus Roundtable Discussion on Education and Synthetic Biology, Synthetic Biology 5.0 Conference, Stanford, CA.
- June 9. Molecular studies of microbial ecology. Keynote talk at Indoor Air 2011 Conference workshop on “Microbiology of the Built Environment”, Austin, TX.
- May 20. Bioinformatics for Microbial Forensics. Presented to the White House Working Group on Microbial Forensics, White House Conference Center, Washington DC.
- May 9. The Deal with Carbon: How Earth’s Mighty Microbes Respond. Lesher Center for the Arts, Walnut Creek, CA.
- Video of talk on Youtube.
- April 21. Phylogenomics. C-DEBI Workshop of Evolution and the Deep Subsurface.
- April 13. Ben Franklin, Bioinformatics, Boston, Birthdays, and me. BioIT World, Boston, MA.
- March 28. Phylogenetic Approaches to Metagenomic Analysis. Talk at Keystone Symposium on ‘Microbial Communities as Drivers of Ecosystem Complexity’.
- March 10. Searching for the fourth domain. Scientific seminar series at the DOE Joint Genome Institute.
- March 7. Phylogenomics. Talk for UC Davis Applied Phylogenetics Course at Bodega Marine Lab.
- March 2. Data management workshop.
- February 28. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. Invited seminar speaker, Computational Biology Program, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- February 17. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. Invited seminar for Graduate Program in Bioinformatics (Student selected speaker), UCSF Mission Bay.
- February 11. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. Talk at UC Davis.
- February 3. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes, Guest seminar for Integrative Biology program, UC Berkeley.
- January 27. Phylogenomics. Guest seminar for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Seminar Series, Genentech, SF.
- January 19. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Guest seminar for Biology Department, UCSD, San Diego, CA.
January 18. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Invited seminar, J. Craig Venter Institute.
- December 16. Phylogenomics and the Diversity and Diversification of Microbes, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA.
- December 16. DNA sequencing and the modern revolution in studies of microbial diversity, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA.
- October 21. What is Open Access Publishing. Talk at UC Davis for Open Access Week.
- September 17. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomes Meeting.
- September 1. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Human Microbiome Project Meeting, St. Louis, MO.
- August 11. A personal perspective on Open Access publishing. Clinical and Translational Sciences Center.
- July 18. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea, ICiS Workshop:Computational Methods and Terabase Metagenomics, Snowbird, UT.
- June 28. Phylogenomics of microbes: the dark matter of biology, Keynote Talk, iEVOBIO, Portland Oregon.
- May 25. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Talk for ASM2012 meeting in Boston.
- April 25. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Talk at ASBMB 2012.
- April 17. Phylogenomics of Archaea and Bacteria, Stanford University “Evolution and Genomics” Symposium.
- January. Open Access. Discussion at Science Online 2012
- November 4. Phylogenomics and the origin of novelty in microbes, Invited Talk, UC Irvine, Seminar Series in Evolutionary Biology, Irvine, CA.
- October 27. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. JGI All Hands Meeting.
- October 3. Microbial genomes, California Academy of Sciences Bioforum, San Francisco, CA.
- Discussion panel video.
- Partial recording on ForaTV.
- October 2. A phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea, National Academy of Sciences “Microbes and Health” meeting, Irvine, CA.
- August 11. Seeking out the dark matter of the biological universe and the need for a phylogeny driven genomic encyclopedia. Keynote Talk, Computational Systems and Bioinformatics Meeting, Stanford, CA.
- June 18. A phylogenomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea, Invited Speaker, CIFAR Integrated Microbial Biodiversity Workshop, Asilomar, CA.
- May 21. The 1$ Bacterial Genome: Informatics, GEBA and Me, Invited talk at American Society for Microbiology 109th General Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- May 19. Comparative genomics of halophilic archaea, a model for science and education. Invited talk at Roche Genome Sequencing Workshop at the American Society for Microbiology 109th General Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- May 18. Panel Discussion on Open Science. At American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- March 27. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Invited talk, JGI User Meeting, Walnut Creek, CA.
- February 23. Evolutionary biology is a valuable and practical tool. Invited Public Lecture, Darwin Day Celebration at The Varsity Theater, Davis, CA.
- February 5. Phylogenomics and the origin of novelty in microbes (and a bonus birthday present for Darwin. Invited Talk, UC Davis Ecology and Evolution Seminar Series.
- February 4. Phylogenomics of host-microbe interactions. Invited talk for the UC Davis Medical School Basic Science Council Meeting.
- November 5. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. Keynote speaker, International Metagenomics Conference, San Diego, CA.
- September 16. A Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea. Invited talk, Small Genome Meeting, Lake Arrowhead, CA.
- August 7. Open Access Publishing, Biomedical Research Integrity program for University of Washington School of Medicine.
- June 4. Genomic Evolvability and the Origin of Novelty. ASM Division R Lecture.
- May 22. Phylogneomics and the origin of novelty. Invited Talk, Institute of Medicine, Forum on Microbial Threats’ Microbial Evolution workshop.
- April 22. Phylogenomics and the origin of novelty in microbes. Invited Talk, LBL Genomic Sciences Symposium Series, Berkeley, CA.
- February. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. International AGBT Meeting, Marco Island, FL.
- October. Genomics as a tool in studying the evolution and diversity of the small things that run the planet. Invited seminar, Bay Area Biosystematists, California Academy of Sciences.
- October 9. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea, Plenary session presentation, Genomes, Medicine and the Environment Conference, San Diego, CA.
- August. The Human Microbiome. SciFoo Camp, Mountain View, CA.
- July. Bioinformatics for Metagenomics, Chair of breakout session, International Metagenomics Conference III: UCSD.
- May ??. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea, Invited seminar, American Academy of Microbiology Workshop.
- May 4. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes. Chico State University.
- April 13. A genomic encyclopedia for bacteria and archaea. Invited seminar, California Metagenomics Meeting, Moore Foundation.
- March 28. Phylogenomics and the origin of novelty in microbes. Invited seminar., JGI User Meeting.
- March 27. A genomic encyclopedia for bacteria and archaea. JGI Lab Sequencing Program Meeting.
- February 28. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes. Invited seminar, U. C. Berkeley Microbiology Seminar Series.
- March 8-9. A genomic encyclopedia for bacteria and archaea. At Bergey’s Planning Meeting to discuss sequencing genomes of all described organisms. University of Georgia.
- January XX. A genomic encyclopedia of bacteria and archaea. JGI Policy Board Meeting.
- January 22. Phylogenomic studies of microbial symbioses. U. C. Davis, Plant Pathology Seminar Series.
- January 17. The more the merrier: genomics of single, double and polysymbioses. Invited talk. Host microbe interaction workshop at the Plant and Animal Genomics Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- December 5. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. For UC Davis Center for Population Biology Seminar Series.
- November 27. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes. Invited talk. , Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, CA.
- November 4. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes. Biology and Mathematics in the Bay Area Day (BaMBA II). Invited talk.
- October 26. Phyogenomics of mutualistic symbioses, U. C. Davis Research Retreat on Host-Microbe Interactions.
- October 18. Phylometagenomics: combining evolutionary analysis and metagenomics. Talk and Session Chair in We’re not in Kansas Anymore: Where Genomics and Evolutionary Biology Meet at Genomes, Medicine and the Environment in Hilton Head, SC.
- October 12. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes. For U. C. Davis MCB Department Seminar Series.
- October 6. 1st International Metagenomics Meeting at UCSD Keynote Talk.
- September 26. Genomics of Mutualistic Symbioses and the Origin of Novelty. 14th Annual International Meeting on Microbial Genomes, Lake Arrowhead, CA.
- September 20. Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbial genomes. At Novozymes in Davis, CA.
- September 18. Phylometagenomics. California Metagenomics Workshop, U. C. Berkeley
- September 11. Challenges associated with screening small oligos. FAS DNA Synthesis and Biosecurity Workshop:
- Program here Meeting-FAS-9-11-2006
- August 18. Metaphylogenomics: Combining Evolutionary Reconstructions and Metagenomic Analysis. CSB 2006 Workshop on Comparative Microbial Genomics:
- August 12. Microbial diversity. At Scifoo Camp.
- May 25. Phylogenomics and the Diversification of Microbes. SMBE Annual Meeting entitled Genomes, Evolution and Bioinformatics:
- May 21. On Next Generation Screening Frameworks Synthetic Biology 2. Webcast .
- May 11. DARPA Fundamental Laws of Biology
- March 30. Phylogenetic and other approaches to binning of metagenomic sequences: Theoretical and applied issues. JGI Users Meeting.
- February. Phylogenetic Anchors and Shotgun Environmental Sequencing. Keystone Meeting on Microbial Community Genomics in Animals and in the Environment:
- 12/16-12/18 West Coast Bacterial Physiology. John Ingram Lecture: Phylogenomics and the diversification of microbes
- 10/17-10/19 Genomes, Medicine and the Environment, invited talk: Phylogenetic analysis and environmental genomics
- 9/26 Invited Talk, Sloan Foundation Synthetic Genomics Workshop, Sweating the small stuff
- 9/20 Invited Talk, NIH DNA Repair Interest Group, More questions than answers: insights into DNA repair processes from genome sequencing projects.
- 4/16 International Conference on Microbial Genomes:Genomic Insights into Tetrahymena’s Bag of Genetic Tricks
- 12/13-12/15 DARPA Radiation Protection Workshop: Extremophiles, genomics and DNA repair
- September. The Axis of Evol and the Phylogenomics of Microbes. Talk at Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomes Meeting. Slideshare.
- 4/17/04 “Phylogenomics and the Axis of Evol” Microbial Sciences Symposium, Harvard.
- February 11, Phylogenomic Analysis of DNA Repair and Recombination Processes, Keystone Meeting on Bacterial Chromosomes, Santa Fe, NM.
- September. Phylogenomics of Microbes. Talk at Lake Arrowhead Microbial Genomes Meeting. Slideshare.
- February 20. Feedback loops between genomics and evolutionary analysis and why every genome center needs an evolutionary biologist. Invited seminar. Duke University.
- November, Invited talk, American Society for Space and Gravitational Biology, Alexandria, VA.
- October, Invited talk, University of Pennsylvania Genome Center, Philadelphia, PA.
- October, Invited talk, DNA Repair and Related Transactions, Fallen Leaf Lake, CA.
- September, Invited talk, Systematics Association Biennial Meeting, London, UK.
- July, Invited talk, Gordon Conference on Microbial Population Biology, Williams, MA.
- March, Invited talk, Society of General Microbiology, General Meeting, Edinburgh, UK.
- January, Invited talk, International Symposium on Extremophile Genomics, Tokyo, Japan.
- December, Invited talk, University of Maryland, Department of Biology, College Park, MD.
- October, Invited talk, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research Evolution Subsection Annual Meeting, Digby, Nova Scotia.
- September, Invited talk, TIGR Genome Sequencing and Analysis Conference, Miami, FL.
- September. Phylogenomics of DNA repair. Invited talk, International Small Genomes Conference, Lake Arrowhead, CA.
- July, Invited talk, Australian American Leadership Dialogue, Washington, DC.
- June, Invited talk, Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory Users Symposium, Hanford, WA.
- April, Invited talk, North Carolina State Genomic Sciences Symposium, Raleigh, NC.
- February, Invited talk, “Biotechnology: The Science and the Impact”, The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Transcript available here.
- February, Invited talk, TIGR Microbial Genomes Meeting, Chantilly, VA.
- November, Invited talk, Beyond the Identification of Transcribed Sequences Workshop, Chantilly, VA.January, Microbial genome sequencing, Keystone Symposium on Archaea, Taos, NM.
- October, Invited talk, ASM Conference on DNA Repair, Hilton Head, SC.
- September, Invited talk, TIGR Genome Sequencing and Analysis Conference, Miami, FL.
- August, Invited talk, IUMS Annual Meeting, Sydney Australia.
- July, Invited talk, John Hopkins University Department of Chemical Engineering.
- May 27. Evolutionary perspectives of genome analysis. Stanford University Genomic Sciences Seminar Series, Stanford, CA.
- May, Invited talk, National Institutes of Health, Section on DNA Repair, Bethesda, MD.
- April 7. Combining evolutionary analysis and genomics into a composite phylogenomic analysis: a case study of DNA repair processes. Invited Talk, Center for Marine Biotechnology, Baltimore, MD.
- February, Invited talk, TIGR Microbial Genomes Meeting, Chantilly, VA.
- February, Phylogenomics of DNA repair processes, Gordon Conference on Mammalian DNA Repair, Ventura, CA.
- October. Phylogenomics: Improving Functional Predictions for Genes Using Evolutionary Analysis. Beyond the Identification of Transcribed Sequences.
- May. Phylogenomics: Improving Functional Predictions for Genes using Evolutionary Analysis. At The Biology of Genomes, Cold Spring Harbor Lab.
- October 14-24. NATO Advanced Study Institute on “DNA Damage and Repair”, Tekirova, Turkey.
- November, The evolution of the RecA protein in bacteria: from systematics to structure. At CALPEG.
- July. Evolution of the RecA protein: From Systematics to Structure. CALPEG.
- May. RecA as a model molecule for molecular systematic studies of bacteria. At the Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE) Meeting. Montreal, Canada.