Welcome to the Lab Page of Jonathan A. Eisen. Eisen is a Professor at the University of California, Davis with appointments in the Department of Evolution and Ecology and the Department of Medical Microbiology. He also holds an Adjunct Appointment at the Department of Energy’s Joint Genome Institute. The Eisen lab’s physical location is in the U. C. Davis Genome Center.
Research in the lab focuses on the “phylogenomics of novelty” in microbes. Major research themes include:
- The genomic basis for the origin and evolution of new functions.
- The ecology and evolution of microbial communities.
- The co-evolution of microbes and their carrying vessels (i.e., hosts).
- Variation in “evolvability.”
- The development of phylogeny-driven computational tools to analyze genomic and metagenomic sequence data.