Welcome to the Lab Page of Jonathan A. Eisen, Professor at the University of California, Davis. Research in the lab focuses on the “phylogenomics of novelty” in microbes. Major research themes include:
- The genomic basis for the origin and evolution of new functions.
- The ecology and evolution of microbial communities.
- The co-evolution of microbes and their carrying vessels (i.e., hosts).
- Variation in “evolvability.”
- The development of phylogeny-driven computational tools to analyze genomic and metagenomic sequence data.